Thursday 1 May 2014

Bristol 10k - at ARAG running just got personal



Following the Santa run at the end of last year and a charity home makeover in March by our Sales team, see the RAG, a cross departmental ‘running’ team committed to the company’s corporate responsibility programme and the Bristol 10k on Sunday 11 May. Whilst often considered an individual sport, we wanted to unite with the common goal of running in memory of Barry Tweddle.

Barry, former Broker Account Manager for the West Midlands, died in January this year from pancreatic cancer. He was an honest, fun and sociable member of the team and is sorely missed. We pledge to raise £500 for Pancreatic Cancer UK www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk Pancreatic cancer still has the worst survival rate of all cancers, 5-year survival is only 3%. This figure has not changed in over 40 years*

I started running six years ago to drop a few pounds and as a social activity. That year I entered a local 5k race, shortly followed by my first Bristol 10k. I had literally got the bug, joined a running club and entered more races. I am fortunate to have a coastal path on my doorstep and there is nothing better than the sound of bird song, lapping waves and a view over a glistening sea to take my mind off the more inclined sections of a route. When training gets hard I like to remind myself ‘The voice inside your head that says you can’t do this is a liar.’

So, help us reach our target, as Tony, George, Paul, Chris, Lauren and myself don trainers and build up a sweat. Please visit our ‘Just giving’ page www.justgiving.co.uk/ARAG

*These figures are the latest available statistics from www.pancreaticcanceraction.org

No comments:

Post a Comment