Does your legal expenses provider consistently design products around the needs of your customers?
The Office of National Statistics has just released coroners’ statistics for 2016 and the headline figures certainly support the introduction of legal protection for Care Providers. Our new product features a raft of covers which focus on the needs of the Care sector, including legal protection to represent care providers throughout Coroners’ inquests.
Here are some key figures from 2016:
· 241,211 deaths were reported to coroners, the highest to date. This shows an increase of 2% from 2015.
· The number of inquests opened increased by 5,769 to 38,626 (up 18%) driven by the increase in deaths while subject to DoLS.
· Inquest cases represented 16% of all deaths reported to coroners, an increase of 2% over 2015.
· 40,504 inquest conclusions were recorded – this is an increase of 14% on 2015.
· There were 11,376 deaths of individuals subject to DoLS – and increase of 58% over 2015 and representing 5% of all deaths reported to coroners.
· The percentage of inquests completed relating to persons aged 65 or over has increased from 61% to 66%. The ONS suggests that this may be due to the increase in the number of deaths of individuals subject to DoLS authorisations all of which require an inquest and may predominantly relate to the older population.
Link to full report, ONS Coroners’ statistics 2016 England & Wales https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/coroners-statistics-2016